I've always been a crafty person, or a "Becky Home-ecky." I love to cook, bake, sew, crochet, and scrapbook. See my various creations here.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Clapboard Cake

My friend's daughter recently turned 12, and she wanted to have a movie-themed birthday party. My friend, Kelly, did cute invitations and party favors, but she doesn't like to bake. So she asked if I could make a cake. After asking the birthday girl what she wanted, I came up with a clapboard cake design.


It is a chocolate buttermilk cake that is so very soft and moist! The frosting would, I guess, be considered a buttercream. I just make my own frosting. I doubled the cake recipe and made it in four 9x13 pans (I only used three). I also made two batches of the frosting (one white, one black).

When I bake, I don't measure very accurately, if at all. So these are all approximations.

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake

  • 2 cups cake flour
  • 1 cup Hershey's baking cocoa
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • Kosher Salt (pinch or so)
  • 1 1/2- 1 3/4 c buttermilk
  • Splash of Vanilla
  • Splash of Orange extract
  • 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 c) softened butter
  • 3 eggs
Chocolate Frosting
  • 2 sticks of butter
  • 2 squares semi-sweet chocolate, melted
  • 4 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
  • 1 box of confectioner's sugar (sifted)
  • splash of vanilla
  • splash of buttermilk (to get to the right consistency)
  • Black food coloring
White Frosting
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 1/2 a box of confectioner's sugar
  • splash of vanilla (use clear vanilla if you want it to be really white)
  • splash of buttermilk

1 comment: