I've always been a crafty person, or a "Becky Home-ecky." I love to cook, bake, sew, crochet, and scrapbook. See my various creations here.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Recycling Thursday

How about a new challenge. Are you up to it? Post a comment with a link to your project!

Anyone who has been crafting for longer than...1 hour I guess...has a pile of things to be reused. I have drawers and drawers of scraps, bits of ribbon, buttons and brads with no partner, and experiments that I never put onto a card. So, my challenge for you, is to go through your scraps and see what you can reuse! I know a treasure is waiting in your stash.


Here is what I came up with:



The only thing not in my scrap stash was the card base. Everything else was in my reuse or scraps piles!

The background I made a long while ago. To make this background, prepare to make a mess! Also, be prepared for it to smell for a couple days. It is a technique using vinegar and icing sugar!
  1. Mix 1 part vinegar to 2 parts icing (confectioner's) sugar
  2. Use a paint brush and liberally paint it over your card stock
  3. Drop different colored reinkers randomly around your cardstock
  4. Wait for it to dry, then brush off the extra sugar
The reinkers will burst along the paper, and the sugar leaves pock marks and crystals. It is very pretty, and is well worth the smell and waiting time.

Going back through my scrap drawer, I thought that this looked an awful lot like a galaxy or nebula. What better stamp set to go with that type of scene than Greetings, Earthling? I just love these adorable aliens.

To make the planet on the bottom, I free-formed a round shape. Then I took a piece of scrap paper and punched various random circles around. Keep the parts that you punch out. I then held the holey piece of paper up to my rounded shape and sponged on ink (crumb cake). Then I used dotto to put the circles I punched out back over where I just inked,and sponged on Old Olive in onto the planet surface.

A little Snail, some dimensionals, and you have yourself a card saved from the recycling bin!

What can you come up with? Show me your scraps!

Contact me if you are interested in learning more about the techniques on this card, or in purchasing any of these products!

Paper:
Old Olive
Crumb Cake
Whisper White

Stamps:
Greetings, Earthling

Inks:
Crumb Cake
Old Olive
Various Reinkers
Various Markers

Adhesives:
Dimensionals
Snail

Tools:
Various Circle Punches
Paper Snips
Paper Trimmer
Sponges

Other:
Vinegar
Confectioner's Sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment