I've always been a crafty person, or a "Becky Home-ecky." I love to cook, bake, sew, crochet, and scrapbook. See my various creations here.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Cake Time

This poor cake...

It started out with good intentions! The cake elements were looking to be the best cake I had ever made!

I got the frosting to be the perfect color.


Both layers were perfectly flat.


Then my frosting tip kept getting clogged, even though I had the smoothest frosting I have ever made. And my fondant pieces started breaking. (It is blue fondant painted with blue Wilton gel thinned with almond extract.)


 Ok. I can live with how it looks. Let's get to decorating! The plan was to have my three blue birds "flying" by using cake wires. I couldn't get the wires to stay still. They ended up tearing a hole in my cake! So I improvised, and just put the blue bird in the slingshot (which is where the black bird was supposed to go, but the slingshot was too small!)





Cute, right? I was very happy with my changes I had to make...then I looked over and my slingshot melted! It was a wafer cookie covered in tootsie roll. It ended up looking like a mess of nastiness covered in brown, sticky water.

Plus another huge hole in the cake.

Not to fret, Leif did get a birthday cake...just not the spectacular one I had in mind. :) Here's the final bird arrangement we ended up with:

No comments:

Post a Comment